Monday, November 11, 2013

        Followers of my little business may remember almost 2 months ago, when I created the sclupted pendant of a barn owl face. I was quick to cast copies and I promptly produced quite a handful of precious owl faces for the world.


       I've run out and have to make more! I can't believe I sold so many so quickly! Garion thinks this could be the next corner of my tiny empire, sculpted animal faces. I don't quite agree, as I think there's something special about the barn owl that is fueling this frenzy.

      I was talking with someone about it at a craft fair Saturday (where I sold 3 owls!) Owls are so interesting as they have a deep and conflicting significance in our culture. They're wise while being mysterious, cute and creepy, common and unseen, a creature that only comes out at night and yet is so trusted in our children's stories.

   I could scurry over to my clay and try to sculpt every animal face in North America, but honestly I don't think they'd do as well as this little heart shaped fellow here. Few people have as strong a response to bears or moose as they do to owls.

   Perhaps I could just make a line of owl faces :)

1 comment: